As it always seems to do, the high school football season flew by in the Acadiana area. It seems like just last week we were publishing our preview stories and discussing the upcoming season.
The regular season has come and gone, and there are some exceptional teams in this area. Some of the best teams have earned a first round bye and will not begin their playoff journey until next week.
However, plenty of area teams are in action this weekend, and it should be plenty of fun. This special edition of D-Loh’s Prep Five previews the five most intriguing playoff matchups that include at least one team from the Acadiana area.
- #20 Thibodeaux @ #13 Southside (Division I Non-Select): Somewhat of a Cinderella a year ago, Southside has returned and established themselves as a winning program. They get a unique challenge in the first round, however. Thibodeaux may be 4-5 overall, but they have won three of four coming in and are certainly a capable group. If Southside wants to make another run, they better not look past the Tigers.
- #19 Westminster Christian Academy @ #14 St. Edmund (Division IV Select): Can I interest anyone in a district rematch that already got spicy this season? St. Edmund and Westminster faced off just two weeks ago, and it was chippy. It even resulted in several ejections. The Blue Jays won that game 26-13, and now the two get to hash things out with a matchup that has even more at stake. This should be a fun one at Blue Jay Stadium and it will be featured as the St. Landry Game of the Week on Newstalk 98.5 (Friday night at 7:00 with pregame at 6:45).
- #17 Ascension Episcopal @ #16 Loyola Prep (Division III Select): The Blue Gators have put together a nice season, entering the playoffs at 6-4 overall. A heartbreaker in week ten may have cost them a home playoff game, but they get an opportunity on the road against Loyola Prep in what should be a competitive round one matchup.
- #19 Breaux Bridge @ #14 Eunice (Division II Non-Select): A matchup of two area teams sees Breaux Bridge traveling to face Eunice on the road in round one. The Tigers battled through a difficult district slate and have some playoff experience. The Bobcats young quarterback has progressed all season and they are looking to make another run this time around.
- #17 Istrouma @ #16 Northside (Division II Select): It has been a solid season for Northside, as they improved their win total by one and now make an appearance in the playoffs. Further than that, a solid power ranking means they will actually host a first round game. This is a nice step for the program, and one they will look to build on.
Dawson Eiserloh is the co-host of “RP3, D-Loh & Meche” which is broadcast weekdays (11-1) on ESPN 103.7 Lafayette and 104.1 Lake Charles — Southwest Louisiana’s Sports Station.